local food, program development, outreach, management, equipment rental, sub-agreements, sub-contracts
permanent infrastructure including farmland, repairs, or utilities; equipment purchases
DIRECT MARKET & REGIONAL FOOD PARTNERSHIP PROJECTS
Mini-grants for existing or new collaborative projects that directly distribute free food to customers from food producers, farmers markets, CSAs, or regional food partnerships.
- Farmer establishes new relationship with local HUD-designated senior housing site to deliver no-cost weekly fruit and vegetable bags to residents.
- Farmer sets up no-cost monthly farm stand outside a WIC clinic to offer build-your-own produce bags for WIC participants.
- Nonprofit expands an existing program to a rural area of their county.
- Local food coalition partners with local Head Start to create food delivery system.
- Food aggregation organization works with multiple food producers to assemble food bags.
EMERGENCY FOOD SYSTEM
Friends of the Farm is a farm-to-food bank program in which Arizona Food Bank Network (AZFBN) purchases locally produced fruits, vegetables, dairy, eggs, and meat for distribution throughout its network of food banks and pantries across Arizona.
- On-the-spot sale of local products for immediate distribution at local or regional food banks.
- Advance written purchase agreements for local food products in future growing seasons.
Try it Local is a farm-to-school program in which Arizona Department of Education purchases locally produced food for distribution at schools (on-the-spot sale or advance written purchase agreements).
- Food producer provides ingredients for breakfast, lunch, or snack items for school or summer child nutrition program.
- Food producer provides products for taste test within a nutrition education program, ex. Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program.
- Food aggregator prepares backpacks of local products for students to take home.